Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Social Awareness Contradiction

Frankly, I both respect Dove's efforts but I also enjoy Axe's humour in their campaigns.

Dove is doing a really great job by basing their entire campaign on supporting a noble cause. Not only does it appeal to their customer's merciful side, but woman and girls that may feel uncomfortable in their own skin will take notice of Dove's advertisements and get informed. And even though I still only look at their videos as advertisements, I'm sure that they really are helping some people out.

On the other hand, I find Axe's campaigns to be hilarious. They clearly are not meant to be taken seriously, and anyone who does needs to lighten up. We've reached an age where things such as sexism do not seem to be as prominent as before, and because of that, society should be able to take jokes like that without it being controversial. I, for one, think it's actually pretty hilarious, and if it weren't for the horrible smell of their products, that commercial would have probably been enough to make me a fan of their stuff.

Now some people may find it hypocritical of Dove to base their campaign on the idea that every woman is beautiful in their own way, just to have Axe stereotype woman with a very degrading campaign. But if you really analyze Axe's commercials, they're not really promoting a bad message. They're so outrageously stupid, and to me, they mean that we've reached an age where these sort of jokes can be made without people getting angry, because issues that involve sexism aren't only not tolerated, but they just don't happen anymore.

So to me, both commercials send a good message. Dove wants all women and girls to feel good in their skin, and thats a commendable cause. But at the same time, Axe proves to me that we've really advanced as a society. At least that's my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I also agree that Dove is doing a lot of work in trying to support a noble cause. Its great and it helps many people with the way that they are influenced by the media and that perfect image that they belive they should have but dove comes in and theyre telling everyone that they shouldn't be like that and that they are beautiful just the way that they are. But I completely disagree with you in the axe commercials, yes they are funny but they are promotion fasely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    Some great writing and good opinions. Just be careful when saying that ads don't have sexist tendencies, because some really do.

    Ms. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Dove is doing a good thing with their campaign. I like the perspective you have on Axe's campaign. But, Axe's ad still seems kind of but not completely unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete