Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Is Taxing Pop Really a Solution?

To summarize, yes. I think taxing pop is a great idea. I'm not going to say that I never drink pop. Whenever I go to a party, or the theaters, I'll have a cup of something like sprite or iced tea. However, at home, in my everyday life, I'll never have any pop at all. I usually have something like orange juice, water or even milk. It's probably easier for me to not drink pop then some other people since I'm used to life like this. When I was really small, I use to have two cups of sprite each day. I'm still amazed that I'm in good shape after that. While I grew up, my mom started to get really interested in health. She started living this new healthy lifestyle that started to catch on with me too. Over time, I started to eat less junk food and drink less pop, until it became like it is now. The snacks I have at home are things like yogurt or almonds. Some people can't a life without junk food, but it's really not that bad. The things I eat taste good, they're just healhy too. I dont mean to brag, since I'm definitley not the healthiest person alive. I probably spend to much time on the computer than I should, and I barely eat breakfast, but I'm just trying to say that it's not that bad to not eat pop and junk food. There's a lot of good tasting things that are healthy for you, and if something like a tax on pop and junk food happens, I think that will be enough incentive for people to start making a change. One big reason people buy junk food is because of the cheap price, so a tax could encourage people to invest in eating healthy.

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly. We shouldn't need to have to put a tax on junk foods like pop or chips in order for people to realize eating healthy is as much of a chore as we think. But I don't think that increasing prices for these kinds of foods will encourage people to invest in healthy eating habits. In the end, it's all up to the person as to whether or not they choose to eat healthy for themselves or choose to indulge. In the long run, if there was to be a tax on things like pop and chips I honestly think that the tax would benefit the manufactureres rather than the people's health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taxing pop seems to have both negative and positive outcomes towards the manufacturers and the customers. Although we customers love pop and consume it daily the tax on it will supposedly affect people and cause them to not buy it as often which is good for our health but not so good for the manufacturers who will probably not gain as much as the normally would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree, increasing the price by imposing a tax will show some incentive but I don't think that is enough because people will be willing to pay that 50 or so extra cents, look at the prices at Wonderland, people still buy pop there and its like 3 bucks a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taxing pop would be a viable way of lowering soft drink consumption but wouldn't be the best solution. If the government or whatever wants us to be healthier they should focus on the companies and help them find better means of making our softdrinks still delicious while still lowering the fat and sugar levels.

    ReplyDelete